Crafting a stellar follow-up after interviews helps leave a lasting impression on employers. The more positively the interviewer views you, the more likely you are to advance in the hiring process.
Sending a customized follow-up after interviews helps you stand out from the competition. Reminding the interviewer of your qualifications helps keep you top-of-mind for the job.
You can use your follow-up to share any information you forgot to mention during an interview. Providing additional details shows you are still interested in the job. As a result, you could be contacted for another interview or a job offer.
Follow these guidelines to craft a stellar follow-up after interviews.
Send Your Initial Follow-Up Right Away
Email a customized thank-you note to each interviewer within 24 hours of your discussion:
- Put the job title and your name in the subject line
- Include the interviewer’s name in the greeting
- Thank the interviewer for their time.
- Share three things you like about the company.
- Include three main points discussed during the conversation.
- Mention the three top qualifications that equip you for the job.
- Share that you look forward to hearing back soon.
Wait to Send Your Second Follow-Up
If the date for making a hiring decision passes and you have not heard back, you can send the contact person a short follow-up email. Let them know you still are interested in the job and would like to see where they are in the hiring process.
Include these details in your follow-up email:
- The job title and your name in the subject line
- The contact person’s name in your greeting
- Gratitude for the interview
- Your interest in the job
- Specific examples of how your knowledge, skills, experience, and accomplishments can add value to the organization
- Any recent company news, press releases, or solutions to problems you discovered since your interview
Keep in mind that a hiring decision might not have been made because more candidates are being interviewed. Or unexpected circumstances caused a decision-maker to be out of the office during the expected decision-making time. Therefore, you might need to wait to receive a response.
Do You Need Help with Following Up After Interviews?
Include ektello in your job search for coaching and support throughout the hiring process. Visit our job board today to get started!